Just a Day

17 years with, 17 years without

it happened on a thursday, like today

ask me what I was wearing, and if I could wear it again afterwards

ask me what lessons I had that day, what school work I was doing

ask who I spent time with, what we talked about, hour by hour

ask what I drank to numb the shock

ask me how I told my friends, my teachers and how poorly equipped we all were to deal with it

ask me how unfair it all was

ask me how my mum's birthday, mother's day, and his funeral we're back to back days that year

ask me how long I carried guilt for giving him that last cold and being a bitchy teenager that morning

ask me how I found him and what I had to do, well, maybe not that.

ask me if I think you should be first aid certified

ask me how much I have written about this, just for me, and how much it's helped

it's just a day, but ask me how i carry it's pieces everywhere

ask me how those pieces feel lighter, brighter, understanding, a little sad at times, but ultimately grateful 

Comments

Popular Posts