Dreams and Checklists

Sometimes joy comes from the oddest places. And they're not really that odd, they're just not what we advertise as the joy makers, the things we should celebrate. And often, I wonder, if the things we should celebrate are oversimplified. The traditional milestones we hold out for, for ourselves and for those around us. We have them in the back of our minds, that tiny chest of clipboards, one per person in our lives. 

We hold them up against ours and compare. Order them by perceived societal progress.
The comparing can sometimes be helpful, a way to understand ourselves better. And the things on the list are not inherently bad, but wouldn't you like to have the language to talk about them with more nuance? To really hear someone when they're telling you their dreams. Not just label them and continue to disassociate. I'd like to know how to celebrate and discuss these moments. And maybe this level of discussion doesn't have to be with everyone. Maybe we're only supposed to have that connection with some of our people. 

I truly want to have the connection to celebrate all the joy my people feel. To know or learn how it connects to how they see themselves and their lives blooming. To cheer, commiserate and stand side-by-side from a place of deep understanding. To know them. And in turn, have them do the same for me. Oh geez is this easier said than done. And oh my, will I get this wrong many many more times. But isn't it a nice idea?



Things that brought me joy this week:
- Seeing people I work feel joy with our new mayoral selection - people with who have felt so dejected and yet continue to lean in hard to deal with some of community's trickiest challenges
- Meeting women who also love talking about systemic issues, my local neighbourhood, thrifting and make-up
- Being a step closer to understanding my feelings on motherhood 
- A Service Ontario visit that took 10 minutes 
- Ending the month with a healthy budget
- Setting a lofty financial goal
- Cycling and Swimming for the first time in a long time

photo: my bike, after cycling downhill in the rain 

Comments

Popular Posts